Dummynet + intro

pc9630 pc9630 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 23:54:29 GMT 2005

Greetings List,
I am a new subscriber to the list (from Adelaide, Australia). Just
introducing myself and looking for some pointers in the use of dummynet.

I am a win32/linux user I have some experience in the use/development of
network simulators through my postgrad studies. I also have very limited
BSD knowledge.

I am currently trying to evaluate a number of PABXs and have setup the
picobsd version of dummynet. (prefering it over nistnet)

I want to put the pabxs through their paces with regards to IP trunking
between 2 units (h323). These units will be spread out geographically
(dsl tails) and converging to a central point (our office). I would like
to setup a number of differing scenarios for link conditions both
typical and atypical and rediculous.

I have managed some trivial ones like a dsl link from examples but I
would like to setup in such a way that I can try a number of different
links and script it to make life easier.

1. main link to the HO will be either wireless or landline to the ISP
cloud.

2. the tails will be a smattering of DSL grade links with varying
properties latency, jitter, and PL.

I would like to establish the main link (I assume as a pipe) and setup
another representing the tail.

So the questions.
1. Does anyone have some suggestions for a typical line of sight wirless
link.

2. Does anyone have some suggestions for a the DSL tails.

I only need 2 nodes for testing purposes.

All suggestions will be most useful

regards

evan