bandwidth limitations

Evgeny Ivanov evgeny at sofia.itdnet.net
Tue Nov 2 02:49:33 PST 2004

   HI all,

I have a problem/question. This is something that I cannot explain to
myself why it is happening.

I have a machine wich acts like a router and traffic shaper for 3
networks. The upstream connection is about 100Mbps and I have 3 networks
that must share this
connectivity. The schema is something like that:

                                                           / |
net1-nic2| --- | SWITCH | -- | LAN |

                                                        /

            / | nic 1|  --- cable --- | net1-nic1|

           /
Upstream ISP ---------- |ISP-NIC router / shaper |-- | nic 2|  ---
wireless link --- | net2-nic1|  ---- | net2-nic2|  ---- | SWITCH | --- |
LAN |

         \

       \ | nic 3|  --- cable --- | net3-nic1|  --- | net3-nic2 | ---- |
SWITCH | --- | LAN |

The machine was originaly installed on 4.9 Stable and was upgrated to
4.10. The IPFW is version 2 - because i needed to use the lookup tables
and the autonic step change. I use the lookup tables to split the
trafffic ( received from IPS for the 3 nets )  into 2 flows - a local
one and international. I am doing that by describing the networks into
table and then using skipto for sending it to different pipes. I dont
use queue becaus it is not working quite well with ipfw2. The rules are
like that:

00005   180161   262752066 skipto 1100 ip from table(1) to net2 out via fxp2
01000    8121      5276242 pipe 1000 ip from any to net2 out via fxp2
01100   180161   262752066 pipe 1100 ip from any to net2 out via fxp2
65535 88428442 64567418299 allow ip from any to any

Same is for each other 2 nets. The router/shaper ISP-NIC  has no any
limitations. All NICs are fxp's.

The problem is that I have is that when I load the ipfw rules I cannot
use more than 30Mbps received from ISP-NIC. When I flush the rules the
speed goes up to 80Mbps.

Can anyone give an advice why is that? What should I do to use at least
80Mbps after applying the rules?

Thanks in advance

--
Evgeny Ivanov