assistance dummynet config(need efficiency)

Bob Ababurko ababurko at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 1 09:58:51 PST 2004

Hello all-

WHat I am trying to accomplish with this dummynet config is give priority
to udp traffic, namely dns and tcp ack's so that I can send mail to our
clients announcement list, as fast and efficient as possible without
congestion.  So basically, I need this machine to ba able to make dns
lookups with out a problem and I need the acks to get back to my machine so
that the SMTP conversation can take place with out latency.  I am not sure
if I have taken all that I need into consideration, but for now I could use
some constructive criticism in terms of making it better.

Using FreeBSD 5.2.1, I have:

/etc/sysctl.conf :
net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass=0

/etc/rc.conf :
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/rc.dummynet"
firewall_type="open"
firewall_logging="YES"

/etc/rc.dummynet :
ipfw -f flush
ipfw pipe 1 config bw 300kbits/s
ipfw queue 1 config pipe 1 weight 100
ipfw queue 2 config pipe 1 weight 1 mask all
ipfw add 100 queue 1 udp from any to any out via fxp0
ipfw add 101 skipto 1000 udp from any to any out via fxp0
ipfw add 110 queue 1 tcp from any to any out via fxp0 tcpflags ack
ipfw add 111 skipto 1000 tcp from any to any out via fxp0 tcpflags ack
ipfw add queue 2 ip from any to any out via fxp0
ipfw add 1000 allow all from any to any

Can I make this better or am I even on the right road??  Thanks in advance
for your help.

Regards,
Bob