ping timeouts

Lewis Watson lists at visionsix.com
Sat Mar 20 12:05:00 PST 2004

> > ${fwcmd} pipe 1 config bw 900Kbit/s queue 112Kbytes
> > ${fwcmd} pipe 2 config bw 900Kbit/s queue 112Kbytes

> I know you said you fixed your issue by replacing the switched.
>
> But your queue size is a bit extreme. Perhaps 8K or 10K would be better.

Hi Matthew.
I am very new to creating pipes and queues and appreciate any insight you
could give me with this.

I based it off the thought that 900Kbit/s / 8 = 112.5  Kbytes

What is the best way to determine queue size?

I have done some testing such as downloading a 100MB file and at the same
time pinging another host. I did not see any timeouts  and speed was about
what I expected so I felt comfortable with the queue size but I would like
to have my network as efficient as possible. Please tell me the reasoning
for 8K or 10K so I can learn.
Thanks!
Lewis