ipfw/dummynet pipe size, is there a burst setting?

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Mar 3 15:04:49 PST 2004

On Mar 3, 2004, at 5:06 PM, Vincent Poy wrote:
> ipfw pipe 1 config bw size
>
> to set the size of the pipe.  I noticed on Linux, they can set a burst
> size so it can burst a x number over the pipe size, is there a similar
> setting available?

I'm not sure I understand the semantics of this?  How much bandwidth is
available when using this burst mechanism-- and what traffic goes
through when several things try to burst at once, for example?

Anyway, you can use different weighted queues feeding into larger-sized
pipe that will probably "do what you want"...

> Also, I noticed for pipes, one can set the queue size
> in slots of KBytes, how does one determine what's a good size?

Consider the cross-product of network bandwidth times latency for your
situation; a discussion of how to tweak the TCP receive window size is
closely related...

--
-Chuck