Multiple_External_IPs+IPFW+arp_proxy+Dummynet+natd_etc

Fangorn fangorn at o2.pl
Wed Jun 16 12:42:37 GMT 2004

Hello!

FreeBSD 5.2.1, IPFW(2 of course), 1 ext_if, 2 int_ifs, P200MMX, 96MB,
HDD 2GB

I have recently set up a router serving and shaping a small network
+/-20 clients (mostly wireless, but that's not important, as the AP does
the job).

I do a static ARP, I have quite a simple firewall, of course natd is up
and running fine. Some pipes and queues pretend to share the traffic
fairly :). Now my concern is:

1. What is the best way to assign an external IP (I have 4 available) to
a LAN client machine?
2. How (if at all) it affects traffic shaping?

I would be greatful for a bunch of ideas and eternally greatful for
examples of working scripts/firewall rules etc.

Disclaimer: Yes, I did a google research, and found nothing that would
cover the afformentioned problem. :-) At least nothing else than 'Well,
you might try this ports thingy, but I don't really know if it helps.'
;-D

PS: (or BTW) Maybe someone also has a solution to a problem of sharing
two external connections in a reasonable way in such a network? Of
course load-balancing would be desirable, but any working examples are
welcome.

Thank You for Your patience.

--

Best regards,