any ipfw + nat gurus out there?

OpenMacNews freebsd-ipfw.20.openmacews at spamgourmet.com
Fri Jun 4 09:53:32 PDT 2004

-- On Friday, June 4, 2004 10:21 PM +1000  Tony Frank <tfrank at optushome.com.au> wrote:

Tony,

> Up to now, I've been avoiding this due to my own time constraints.

Thanks for your reply and your time!

>> in the simple case of
>
> Perhaps you are yet to realise this is perhaps not 'simple' ? :)

Nope. No more 'yet'. Got it. Not necessarily simple.  People getting angry. Loud-n-clear. In over my head. Stateful? ... no flippin idea!   ;-)

Still, it *should* be ...

> Ok, as a first cut on this without actually trying anything and reading your
> work so far, I would do the following:

great. i'll regurgitate/postulate in order ...

first, the basics

initialize the variables:

        fwcmd = "/sbin/ipfw"
        exipA = "A.A.A.1"
        exipB = "A.A.A.2"
        inip = "10.0.0.B"
        gateway = "R.R.R.R"

        natd_portA_in=  "8668"
        natd_portA_out= "8669"

        natd_portB_in=  "8670"
        natd_portB_out= "8671"

the 'usual' start & finish rules ...

   # allow localhost traffic
       ${fwcmd} add 100 allow all from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.1
   # deny everything else
        ${fwcmd} add 65000 pass deny from any to any

> 1. Get the workstation to anywhere case working using the aaa1 address.
> Standard rc.firewall examples should get you going with regular natd.

ok, but since my not-so-simple example has TWO external IPs (exipA=A.A.A.1 & exipB=A.A.A.2) that will BOTH be sending & receiving IP traffic, I'll set up TWO natd instances, one running on EACH external IP.

BUT,

> 2. Get the ccc1 to workstation working through aaa1.
> 3. Get the ccc2 to workstation working through aaa2.

> NATD port forward is obvious solution to me here.
> To restrict this port-forward to the flow ccc1 to aaa1:22 use an ipfw rule prior to the natd divert.
>
> Again, NATD port-forward should do the trick.
> Another ipfw rule to only permit ccc2 to aaa2:22 before natd should do it.

this has me confused ... should this not be done with the

       -redirect_port tcp ${WORKSTATION}:22 22

natd config option?  my understanding of this is "any/all traffic to this NATd instance's alias_address, port 22 is forwarded to WORKSTATION:22".

i.e.,

        /usr/sbin/natd \
        -alias_address ${exipA} \
        -in_port ${natd_portA_in} \
        -out_port ${natd_portA_out} \
        -dynamic -use_sockets -same_ports -unregistered_only -log -log_denied \
        -redirect_port tcp ${WORKSTATION}:22 22

        /usr/sbin/natd \
        -alias_address ${exipB} \
        -in_port ${natd_portB_in} \
        -out_port ${natd_portB_out} \
        -dynamic -use_sockets -same_ports -unregistered_only -log -log_denied \
        -redirect_port tcp ${WORKSTATION}:22 22

am i misusing this?  specifically, i'm not sure what your reasoning/intent is with the "use an ipfw rule PRIOR to the natd divert" instruction.

# rather than the rc.firewall 'standard'
${fwcmd}  add 2000 divert all from any to any via ed0 where ed0 is your EXTERNAL interface.

the DIVERT statements I've used are:

       (a) ${fwcmd} add 10000 divert ${natd_portB_out} ip from ${inip} to C.C.C.2 22 out xmit ${exif}
       (b) ${fwcmd} add 11000 divert ${natd_portA_out} ip from ${inip} to any out xmit ${exif}
       (c) ${fwcmd} add 12000 divert ${natd_portA_in} ip from any to any in via ${exif}
       (d) ${fwcmd} add 13000 divert ${natd_portB_ip} ip from any to any in via ${exif}

where the intent of each is:

       (a) all OUTBOUND traffic via the firewall's internal-LAN-ip (inip) & the External NIC (exif) specifically to C.C.C.2:22 **MUST** travel OUT via exipB=A.A.A.2, i.e., the SECOND NATD instance, above
       (b) all **OTHER** OUTBOUND traffic via inip **MUST** travel OUT via exipA=A.A.A.1, i.e., the FIRST NATD instance
       (c) all INBOUND traffic coming into the (exif) & addressed to exipA=A.A.A.1 gets diverted to the 1st NATd instance
       (d) all INBOUND traffic coming into the (exif) & addressed to exipB=A.A.A.2 gets diverted to the 2st NATd instance

> 4. Get the workstation to ccc2 outbound using aaa2 going.
> I'm not totally sure what you want here?
> Do you just want workstation to support incoming from ccc2 via aaa2 or
> do you want workstation to be able to initiate outbound to ccc2 using aaa2 address?
> If the latter then you may need some special case divert rule specific for this flow.

yes to both.

DIVERT rule (a), above, is *intended* to do this.

> Does that help?

getting there.  thanks!  i'm still a bit unclear about the above ...

i'm still a LOT unclear about the additional issue "that, after natd, the ip packet's src will be rewritten to IP of exipX, so I may need to send via fwd the packet to next-hop -- i.e., the ISP's gateway router, using

        ${fwcmd} add 10005 fwd ${gateway} ip from ${exipA} to any
        ${fwcmd} add 11005 fwd ${gateway} ip from ${exipB} to any"

I **think** this has to do with state management, but not certain ... too many variable for my poor, feeble mind at the moment.

> If you're still stuck, I can setup the scenario in my lab over the weekend.
> If I dont get stuck on paid work anyways. :)

once I get this all worked out -- with lots of help, clearly! -- my intent is to write it up and post as an example ...

again, i've learned this is NOT as simple as it looks ... well, as I'd hoped anyway! and i will most certainly NOT "look a gift horse in the mouth", with all due respect  ;-)

thanks,

richard