IPFW fwd to remote address

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Fri Jul 9 09:43:55 PDT 2004

I am trying to set up a forward from one machine to another on a remote
network across the Internet.

I want to receive requests on one box on port 8080 and simply forward them
to a remote machine on the same port. I have tried the following rules, to
no avail. I have IPFIREWALL_FORWARD in my kernel (4.10), and # ipfw show
reports the hits to the rule.

# ipfw add 1000 fwd 216.209.x.x tcp from any to me 8080
# ipfw add 1000 fwd 216.209.x.x,8080 tcp from any to me 8080
# ipfw add 1000 fwd 216.209.x.x tcp from any to me 8080
# ipfw add 1000 fwd 216.209.x.x,8080 from any to any 8080

I can not see the packets going back out of the machine, nor does ipfw log
anything at the other end. # tcpdump at the remote end does not pick up
any traffic.

Does this have something to do with the fact that I am going across the
Internet, and it is trying to route the packets back to itself (I
understand the dest does not get changed). If so, how could I re-write the
packets so they will get delivered?

Tks for any help on this

Steve