IPFW/routing wishes

Christian Kratzer ck at cksoft.de
Mon Sep 15 12:57:06 PDT 2003

Hi,

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Martin Bartelds wrote:
[snipp]
> The IPFW Fwd command does (as far as I know) only change the
> next hop, not the (already chosen) interface how to come there.
> And that's the problem. The interface information is kept one
> level higher as where IPFW operates. The Fwd command is
> intended to "run" on the incoming packets (which will be subject
> to the FreeBSD routing actions lateron), wheres I do have to
> change the interface of the outgoing packets (which do not
> enter the FreeBSD routing system again).
>
> My original request is effectively to have the possibility to do
> an additional routing action on outgoing packets.

I googled around and immediately hit a past discussion on this list

	http://www.google.de/search?q=freebsd+ipfw+policy+routing

	http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2002/freebsd-ipfw/20020901.freebsd-ipfw.html

	http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=23701+0+archive/2002/freebsd-ipfw/20020901.freebsd-ipfw

one of the posters recommends applying a forward rule to packets incoming
on the inside interface. This way you can still modify the next hop and
thus the interface they will leave.

Greetings
Christian

--
CK Software GmbH
Christian Kratzer,         Schwarzwaldstr. 31, 71131 Jettingen
Email: ck at cksoft.de
Phone: +49 7452 889-135    Open Software Solutions, Network Security
Fax:   +49 7452 889-136    FreeBSD spoken here!