hostnames resolving problem

Clemens Fischer ino-qc at spotteswoode.de.eu.org
Tue Sep 2 09:08:54 PDT 2003

* Kelly Yancey:

> On 30 Aug 2003, Clemens Fischer wrote:
>
>> that would not be my cup of tea, because by this ipfw(8) becomes
>> "unscriptable", ie. i'd have to grep(1) for messages and start from
>> scratch again.  i guess this problem should be detected and handled
>> ahead of running ipfw(8).  note that you can always use `-p
>> preprocessor' for this.
>
>   No you don't, it just warns, not exits.  You'll get warnings
> telling you that what you are doing is a Bad Idea, but you can send
> them to /dev/null if you don't care.

i know, but this doesn't put me at ease.  since hosts can choose do
implement DNS round-robin any time, this might not only be a bad idea,
it might well be plain wrong, and i wouldn't even know.  the patch
should error-exit IMO, or people who need this feature should dream up
their own m4 macros to handle this "feature".

  clemens