Strange count of dynamic rules

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Mon May 26 18:30:45 PDT 2003

Hi,

I am trying to install a standalone firewall between my LAN and my
router to outside world.

And I am puzzled with the number of dynamic rules that are installed.

firewall<root>125: ipfw -d list | grep "<->" | wc
    1849   20651  157940

tells me that there are 1849 dynamic rules (both active and expired)

but:

firewall<root>127: sysctl net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_count
net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_count: 15910

tells me that there are 15910 dynamic rules.

So where is the truth? Or is that something I missunderstand?

Problem is that net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_count will never count down and
reach the limit of 65535 very soon (coupleof hours), and then nothing
can get through.

BTW, I am running FreeBSD 4.8 with IPFW2

Best regards,

Olivier