ipfw + dummynet: bandwidth limiting not working

Jason Kocol mrkocol at cv.org
Thu May 15 19:48:56 PDT 2003

> Remove the line that says 'ipfw add pass all from any to any' and it
> should work.
>
> - Sten

No, removing that line causes all traffic to the outside to cease.
Meaning I can no longer ping out, cannot connect to any machine via ftp,
http, etc.
Also some services on startup complain, like mountd and RCP are unable to
register.  So it looks like I need to leave that line in in order to have
a connection to the internet.

> Or atleast number your rules... so that it falls after the pipe config.
>
> And check out sysctl net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass
>
> bkw

Moving the rules around in the firewall script, or numbering them, did at
least solve the problem of not configuring the pipe to the desired
bitstream, but even doing that and setting net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass=0 still
does not limit the bandwidth.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason