Developing Proxy Server - Don't have Speed.

vijaypatel vijaypatel at hotpop.com
Tue May 6 05:56:32 PDT 2003

Hi,

We are developing transparant proxy server on FreeBSD 4.7 having hardware configuration pentium-I 200Mhz,64 MB RAM.

we have done following things.

-- we have done Network Address Translation for every packet going outside.
-- we are using libnet 1.0 & C Socket API,C Standard Template Lib.(Hash,Map,Vector) for Network Address Translation.

Network Address Translation  is giving exact result.

Problem
-- we are testing speed of Network Address Translation operation which is about 7 KB/S which is extreamly slow.
--   we have configure SQUID proxy server to mesure speed of internet which is about 700 KB/S
-- Earlier we thought that less speed is because of LIBNET Libaray so that we remove everything concern to LIBNET & used SOCKET APIs only.
-- we have tested same code on LINUX 7.1 which is giving speed of about 300 KB/S which is quite reasonable.

We want to build application like IPFW - natd as a part of project.
We aiming to get around 500 KB/S speed  of our proxy server. so help us in finding out bootleneck of our code or suggest any alternative way.

please suggest any solution so that speed of Network Address Translation can be increase.

Thanks in Advance.