Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation Using Dummynet

Frank Reppin shauwn at relay.boerde.de
Tue Jul 8 21:34:27 PDT 2003

Hi zam,
ehlo list-members,

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-1] zam wrote:

[...]
> Let say Group A using 70% of the bandwidth, and at the
> same time, Group C utilize 100% of the bandwidth, is
> there any ways to make sure that the balance of group
> A (30%) will be given to Group C?

afaict this isn't possible with dummynet itself. :/
But it isn't impossible at all - you can achieve the desired
behaviour by using:

http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/kjc/software.html#ALTQ

Off this topic:
===============

Imvho(1), the linux HTB development progress seems  to outrun FreeBSD
dummynet and even ALTQD(KAME) success... I wonder if  there are any
similiar projects (thoughts) in the *BSD world to compensate this?
(if there's anything to compensate - ofcourse!... I didn't tried
linux HTB so far by myself- but maybe there's someone out there who
already did it and can share some deeper insights/thoughts!)

thanks in advance and
best regards,

Frank Reppin
Heidestr. 15
39112 Magdeburg

(1) I can be very wrong - ofcourse! :) [but i don't think so.] :p
    We are a regional ISP using both - dummynet and ALTQD - to perform
    QoS to our customers (without having a budget for expensive hardware,
    since mostly everything is based on a volunteer basis). My colleagues
    here don't blame the currently smooth working solution - but they think
    that Linux HTB might perform better (scalability, accuracy, configuration tasks)
    than the *BSD solution.

--

43rd Law of Computing:
        Anything that can go wr