Performance improvement for NAT in IPFIREWALL

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Wed Jul 2 14:38:26 PDT 2003

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Many people are wrong, then.  NAT is not a security feature.

We simply disagree.

> [ NAT sucks.  In a very useful way, of course.  Exogenous requirements
> may impose unreasonable constraints upon implementing the technically
> preferrable solution, just as "inept excess verbiage may disqualify
> qualifiers".  And "But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?"
> and other tasty bits from the "Applesoft Reference Manual".... ]

Yep, NAT sucks.  Exogenous requirements are often generated by marketing
fools who think we need to match a technically trivial and meaningless
feature in someone else's product.  However, twenty some odd years of
software engineering has taught me to pick my fights ;-)

Back to the original topic -- divert functionality for ng_ksocket?
Useful for much more than nat.