[ia64] End of life...

Émeric MASCHINO emeric.maschino at gmail.com
Thu May 15 22:50:29 UTC 2014

Hi,

I can feel the pain: I was on Debian/ia64 for more than a decade when
Debian announced that the ia64 support will be dropped for Jessie. In
fact, all Linux distributions, but Gentoo, dropped their ia64 support.
The only benefit of this is that all ia64 lost souls can now
concentrate their efforts on the only remaining free and open project
for ia64: Gentoo/ia64. I've completed the switch to Gentoo/ia64 last
year and don't regret it. Overall, ia64 is running fine but there are
still plenty of things to be done. And with the forthcoming Wayland
revolution, it would be sad to miss it.

Thank you Marcel for all these years devoted to FreeBSD/ia64 and if
you're looking for other ia64 challenges, I bet that Gentoo/ia64 would
be glad to recruit talent as you ;-)

     Émeric