Booting 9.0 RC2

"Marc Lörner" loerner at gmx.de
Thu Nov 17 10:49:41 UTC 2011

Hello Marcel,
good news: loader starts now.

Unfortunately I got the same problems that you have with Machine-Checks on
the early booting stage with GENERIC.

I did some investigation in code and code-changes and I probably found the
cause:
In __start (locore.S) you try to store PA of bootinfo block to pa_bootinfo
which seems to reside in kernel-text space
=> DATA-ACCESS-RIGHTS fault because text-space is pinned in DTR with AR_RX.
(c.f. mmu_setup_paged calling mmu_wire in the loader code)

After changing this kernel started, at least I now got output on console.

Unfortunately the next hang is in sapic_create accessing sa->sa_register
which seems to be NULL, at least I got NULL as returnvalue of pmap_mapdev.

Comparing the assembler code and supposed code from ia64/ia64/pmap.c I
saw some differences. I didn't find out why the "normal" code just pinning
sapic-address to region 7 wasn't included in kernel anymore.
Hardcoding sa_register to 0xe0000000fedfe000 seemed to solve this problem
for me.

Hope this helps to get FreeBSD GENERIC working again on Montecito platforms,
Marc