Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Thu Nov 10 17:32:44 UTC 2011

On Nov 10, 2011, at 4:10 AM, Marc Lörner wrote:

>> On Nov 2, 2011, at 3:17 AM, Marc Lörner wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I have an issue on booting install disc1 for RC1, too.
>>>
>>> After following output is hangs:
>>>
>>> FreeBSD/ia64 EFI boot, Revision 3.1
>>> can't open '/boot/screen.4th': no such file or directory
>>>
>>> Marcel, did you test the new isos?
>>> It seems all the files are included in the CD's root "/boot" directory,
>>> but not in the bootable-partition.
>>
>> Hi Marc,
>>
>> I didn't test last time, because there was a release build
>> failure (process error) and I had to scramble to get the
>> RC1 out in time.
>>
>> I fixed the issue; it's committed to head, so I'll incorporate
>> it in the release.
>>
>> What I ran into is that the kernel doesn't seem to boot on an
>> old rx2600 (McKinley). I'm getting machine checks. It's not
>> caused by the loader or anything, because I can boot from CD
>> and manually boot an existing kernel. It looks like there's a
>> problem with the GENERIC kernel. I'm looking into that right
>> now.
>
> Hello Marcel,
> your problem maybe is related to ia64/147772 and the use of
> ptg.ga in pmap_invalidate_page of GENERIC kernel.

A non-GENERIC kernel works fine, either with or without SMP.
Also, the kernel triggers a MCA before the console is set up,
so we haven't yet bootstrapped the VM yet.

It could be a bug in the loader, introduced by the PBVM switch
(i.e. linking the kernel against a virtual address and having
the loader build a page table to map VA to PA -- added for the
support of the SGI Altix).

FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar