Compiler FreeBSD10

"Marc Lörner" loerner at gmx.de
Mon Dec 19 10:47:41 UTC 2011

On Dec 13, 2011, at 03:56 AM, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

>On Dec 8, 2011, at 5:44 AM, Marc Lörner wrote:
>
>> Hello list, Marcel!
>>
>> As I'd seen the plans for FreeBSD 10 are to get rid of
>> gcc and stick with clang/llvm. But clang/llvm removed
>> backend support for ia64, so what are the plans of
>> compiler usage for FreeBSD 10 on itanium?
>> Stick with gcc or is someone working on itanium support for
>> llvm apart from the main llvm-project?
>> Marcel I saw that you made some llvm patches some time ago.
>
>I started porting LLVM to ia64 again. The projects/llvm-ia64
>branch is where the work is done. It's a lot of work and I
>lack time, so it's progress is slow in general and stalled
>right now.

As I wanted to have some deeper look at LLVM, for some time now.
Maybe I find some time over christmas holidays to pull your branch
and gain some insights. Then maybe I can help you porting to ia64.

>In parallel, there's work planned to add better support for
>external toolchains and cross-building to FreeBSD. This should
>make it easier to use an out-of-tree compiler in case GCC
>gets removed from the source tree.

Yes I know, I attended your short summary of what work was done in
devsummit at EuroBSDCon.

>I don't know where things will land for 10.0, but I would
>definitely like to see ia64 buildable in some form or shape.

Me, too. Either with usage of an out of tree gcc compiler or an
ported llvm.

Regards,
Marc