Compiler FreeBSD10

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Tue Dec 13 02:56:36 UTC 2011

On Dec 8, 2011, at 5:44 AM, Marc Lörner wrote:

> Hello list, Marcel!
>
> As I'd seen the plans for FreeBSD 10 are to get rid of
> gcc and stick with clang/llvm. But clang/llvm removed
> backend support for ia64, so what are the plans of
> compiler usage for FreeBSD 10 on itanium?
> Stick with gcc or is someone working on itanium support for
> llvm apart from the main llvm-project?
> Marcel I saw that you made some llvm patches some time ago.

I started porting LLVM to ia64 again. The projects/llvm-ia64
branch is where the work is done. It's a lot of work and I
lack time, so it's progress is slow in general and stalled
right now.

In parallel, there's work planned to add better support for
external toolchains and cross-building to FreeBSD. This should
make it easier to use an out-of-tree compiler in case GCC
gets removed from the source tree.

I don't know where things will land for 10.0, but I would
definitely like to see ia64 buildable in some form or shape.

FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar
marcel at xcllnt.net