buildworld timigs - somewhat surprising

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Mon May 24 14:14:55 UTC 2010

I've collected some statistics from buildworld and
buildkernel -j<..> on rx2600 and rx2620. Surprisingly
building on rx2600 is always slightly quicker, even though it has
a slower CPU:

http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/freebsd/ia64/bld-world.png

Buildkernel on rx2600 is also quicker than on rx2620, except for
cases when other activity was present on it:
http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/freebsd/ia64/bld-kern.png

The raw stats:

rx2620
world:	http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/freebsd/ia64/rx2620/zeev/bld-world
kernel:	http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/freebsd/ia64/rx2620/zeev/bld-kernel

rx2600
world:	http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/freebsd/ia64/rx2600/uzi/bld-world
kernel:	http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/freebsd/ia64/rx2600/uzi/bld-kernel

The kernel config files are slighly different, due to several different
devices. However, the buildworld processes must be the same.
Both nodes work with identical disks.

The only difference I see is that rx2620 uses SCHED_ULE, while
rx2600 uses SCHED_4BSD. I'll try to rebuild the kernels on
both nodes with the same scheduler, and see how this changes the
timings.

anton

--
Anton Shterenlikht