ia64/147501: [ia64] options PREEMPTION causes instability

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 5 17:00:17 UTC 2010

>Number:         147501
>Category:       ia64
>Synopsis:       [ia64] options PREEMPTION causes instability
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD hob.lan.xcllnt.net 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #1 r208634:208809M: Sat Jun  5 08:36:47 PDT 2010     marcel at hob.lan.xcllnt.net:/usr/obj/nfs/freebsd/base/head/sys/HOB  ia64

Running pho's stress2 with PREEMPTION results in kernel panics that are not seen when PREEMPTION is not enabled. This is with a SMP kernel.
>How-To-Repeat:
On a Montecito box:
o   checkout projects/stress2
o   compile and run
o   Wait for a panic (possibly a hard hang) within a few hours.

NOTE: Due to another bug, Montecito is the more reliable test platform.

>Fix:
Problem areas that are at the top of my head:
o   The weak memory ordering could result in race conditions if memory fences aren't properly used
o   Access to PCPU fields is non-atomic, which may result in getting the wrong field when the thread migrates to another CPU in the middle of the access sequence.