getty fails to prompt for login on ttyu0

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Sat Jul 31 03:16:26 UTC 2010

On Jul 30, 2010, at 7:13 AM, Zach Wilkinson wrote:

> On first boot off hard disk, kernel messages print to serial console and at the end it prints the time/date but no login prompt.
>
> I SSH in as a standard user and I see getty is running on ttyu0:
>
> $ ps awux |grep getty
> root   1087  0.0  0.0  5584  2392  ??  I 0:20PM  :00.00 /usr/libexec/getty std.9600 ttyu0
>
> And that config is reflected in /etc/ttys:
>
> $ grep ttyu0 /etc/ttys
> ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on  secure
>
> I believe the terminal (minicom) is configured correctly since I was able to interact with and complete the install over serial console. And system messages (su failures) continue to print to serial console.
>
> However, I'm not able to get any direct response from input in serial console. And to make matters worse I didn't enable root auth over SSH, and I forgot to add my non-root account to the wheel group.
>
> So, before I boot off CD, any recommendations on what else I should check?

During the boot, the kernel will tell you which of the uart(4) devices
is the console. It's most likely uart3 or uart4. Add an entry for that
uart in /etc/ttys and you can login on the console.

Now, as to add the line to /etc/ttys: boot single-user mode (stop in
loader and enter "boot -s".

HTH,

--
Marcel Moolenaar