Assertion in pcpu_init

Marc Loerner marc.loerner at hob.de
Fri Nov 27 10:22:34 UTC 2009

Hello Marcel + list,
I tried to boot up the new 8.0-RELEASE disc1 iso and ran into assertion
in pcpu_init (cpuid < MAXCPU).
On my machine/kernel I have 2x4 cores and MAXCPU is set to 4,
so on probing processors in ia64_probe_sapics in madt.c cpu_mp_add gets
called more than MAXCPU-times. This leading to smp_cpus and cpuid in call
of pcpu_init being greater than MAXCPU => Assertion

So solution would be either to modify MAXCPU and compile my own kernel
or adding check on this in cpu_mp_add before calling pcpu_init.

BTW, is there a way to modify MAXCPU dynamically on boot?

Regards,
Marc

HOB RD VPN - einfach, sicher und flexibel  auf alle Unternehmensanwendungen und -daten zugreifen

Praesentation unter: http://www.hob.de/rdvpn2/

HOB GmbH & Co. KG
Schwadermuehlstr. 3
D-90556 Cadolzburg

Geschaeftsfuehrung: Klaus Brandstaetter, Zoran Adamovic

AG Fuerth, HRA 5180
Steuer-Nr. 218/163/00107
USt-ID-Nr. DE 132747002

Komplementaerin HOB electronic Beteiligungs GmbH
AG Fuerth, HRB 3416