installing from CD

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Tue Jun 23 15:05:50 UTC 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 5:50 AM, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:36:01PM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 22, 2009, at 8:15 AM, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>>

>>> It feels as if the installation program leaves the system
>>> in some unclean state. I actually have to disconnect the power
>>> cord to get to the EFI console.
>>
>> Hmmm, I never encountered this. A firmware upgrade (the MP's in
>> this case) may be what's called for.
>
> I reflushed the firmware, and checked the system with HP offline
> diagnostics CD - no problems found, all seems fine.
>
> I also switched to using LAN on MP, instead of the serial console, and
> now reboot goes fine. However, loader.efi is still zero size.
>
> I'm probably wrong, but does the FBSD installation
> program on i386 and on alpha ask about creating MBR?
> Is it relevant at all?

Itanium only has a GPT, so the traditional BSD disklabel within
a MBR slice is not used. As such, sysinstall won't ask about
slicing. The behaviour is correct.

I have no idea why the sizes are 0. My only guess is that you
may have a corrupted EFI partition. Try checking the file
system...

If all else fails, you should be able to manually copy the
contents of /boot on the live CD to the EFI file system.

FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com