ia64 systems

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Tue Jun 2 21:24:53 UTC 2009

Gary Zambrano wrote:
> Hi ia64 project,
>
> I want to install FreeBSD 7.2 on an ia64 system and am soliciting guidance.
>
> What is the ia64 system of choice for FreeBSD ?
>
> I'm hoping I can download the ISOs and install with minimal problems.
>
> I saw the "Machines on the market" list in the ia64 project, but the list
> description states that "Presence here does not mean that FreeBSD has been
> validated to run on it".
>
> So, I guess I am looking for validated info.

I cannot speak to specifics of FreeBSD validation, but in general I would
strongly suggest that one _NOT_ use systems based on "Merced" aka Itanium 1
processors.

IIRC the only folks who sold/sell systems with Itanium2 processors in them
were/are HP, SGI, Fujitsu and IIRC Hitachi and NEC.  I don't think that either
Dell or IBM sold Itanium2-based systems, but could be wrong.  I do know they
offered some Itanium1-based systems along with everyone else.

rick jones