[head tinderbox] failure on ia64/ia64

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Mon Jun 1 08:30:39 UTC 2009

Doug, good day.

Sun, May 31, 2009 at 10:01:48PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> FYI, I'm aware of this issue and I've filed a bug report with the ISC
> folks. If anyone has a bright idea on how to fix it I'm all ears, but
> I tried everything I can think of already and no luck so far.

Seems like GCC likes to see __attribute__ stuff only for function
prototypes, not for declarations.  The attached patch seems to fix
the stuff, but I have no ia64 system to test on.  Quick test with
'make ISC_ATOMIC_ARCH=ia64' eliminates errors.

This is very weird (judging by the GCC's manual) since the simplest C
program,
-----
int main(void)
{
	return 0;
}

void foo(void) __attribute__ ((unused))
{
	return;
}
-----
but ICC 10.x produces the same error and happily chewes __attribute__
on the function prototype.  Anyway, I see no warnings even without
'((unused)) attribute with -Wall, so '__attribute__ ((unused))' looks
like no-op nowadays.
--
Eygene