Unable to write data on disk

YipKei Kwok yipkeikwok at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 14:28:21 PST 2006

Hi,

We continue our work today and here are our discoveries.

1. There is no hardware problem with our machine.
Originally, we suspected that there might be some hardware problem
with our machine, or drives. That's why we tried to install Linux
(Debian 3.1) on our HP zx6000 machine. The results was that we were
able install Linux on _both_ of the hard drives that we have
seamlessly. It shows that there is no hardware failure with our
machine.

2. sysinstall not able to detect more than 1 drive
Linux detects both 73GB U320 hard drives while the FreeBSD sysinstall
see only 1.

3. problem with swap partition
If we create both / and swap filesystems on a single disk, we get the error
ERROR: Unable to write data to disk da1!

But if, for experimental purpose, we used the whole disk space for
swap. We got the following error.
Couldn't make filesystems properly. Aborting.

Our workaround solution:
We used the whole disk drive for / and the disk was labelled
successfully and so was the whole installation process. Then, we will
later mount swap to a new drive.

Regards,
Yipkei

--
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In
this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the

"I can do all things through Christ who Strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13