Unable to write data on disk

YipKei Kwok yipkeikwok at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 15:32:42 PST 2006

Hi,

I have a problem when installing FreeBSD 5.2 on my HP zx6000 Itanium
machine. There are two identical 73GB, each, SCSI hard drives in the
machine. I am planning to install FreeBSD on the empty one and the
other one already has Red Hat Enterprise Edition installation, that I
do not want to touch. I put the empty one, for FreeBSD installation,
in SCSI bay 0 and the other one in bay 2.

Here is how I partition my hard drive with Disklabel.

PartMountSize Newfs   PartMountSize Newfs
------------- -----   ------------- -----
da1p1     99MB EFI
da1p2     400MB EFI
da1p3     /256MB UFS2   Y
da1p4     swap2027MB SWAP
da1p5     /var256MB UFS2+S Y
da1p6     /tmp256MB UFS2+S Y
da1p7     /usr66712MB UFS2+S Y

When sysinstall is about to write on the disk, the following error
message appears.

ERROR: Unable to write data to disk da1!

Then, I pressed OK and the following message appears.

Couldn't make filesystems properly. Aborting.

I tried both Custom and Standard Installation already but I still get
the same result. For your information, you may refer to [1] for
information of my HP zx6000 machine.

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Yipkei