HP ZX2000 How to Install 5.2.1?

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Sun Mar 28 10:13:34 PST 2004

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 08:26:18PM -0500, Keith A. Howells wrote:

> I'm not terribly familiar with EFI.  I currently have RedHat Enterprise
> Linux 3 WS Update 1 installed on this workstation.  I've been playing with
> 5.2 / 5.2.1 in x86 hardware and am getting very interested in using versus
> linux and would like to try to get it running.  Is there a howto with
> specific steps to get 5.2.1 installation going?

No. Things are pretty rough around the edges and a HOWTO would probably
be a waste of time. Please search this mailing list for the typical
problems people are/were having when installing FreeBSD/ia64.

> I reviewed the installation
> portion of the handbook and also picked up Greg Lehey 4th edition Complete
> FreeBSD and they only refer to i386 based installations.  I also posted this
> question on the freebsdforums.org freebsd installing, upgrading and releases
> forum and have gotten no replies as of yet.

i386 is pretty much the only platform with enough mass to have this
kind of information produced.

> Any help is appreciated, I'm dying to get this running and see how well /
> quickly the Itanium2 compiles apps from the ports collection.  Btw - I'm
> loving xfce4 versus using Gnome or KDE, its light and fast!! Hopefully an
> IA64 port is available.

Remember that FreeBSD/ia64 is still a work in progress. Make sure you
start off with the right expectations.

I would suggest downloading the snapshot. Search this mailinglist for
the URL. In sysinstall, make sure you create an EFI partition, or if
there's already an EFI partition, make sure you create a mount point
for it. Other than that, things should be familiar.

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net