Help needed cleaning up sys/boot/{efi,ia64}/ makefiles

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Thu Feb 12 09:33:01 PST 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:18:51AM +0200, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> > Anyway, I cannot reproduce what you're seeing. The differences I get
> > are irrelevant (like timestamps or padding).
> >
> > > So I have a few questions:
> > >
> > > - Why the hell removing -M from linker flags (both in unpatched and
> > >   patched versions of makefiles) seems to affect the loader.sym binary?
> >
> > Are you sure this is what's going on? I don't see what you're seeing.
> > The use of -M does not affect the output, AFAICT.
> >
> Yes, I'm sure.  I have now committed my patch (thanks for testing), and
> if I now apply this patch to not generate loader.list:
[snip]

Ok, I'll sync up with what you committed and look into this some
more. Note that your list of files that differ contain .a, .o and
.c files. The .c and .o differences are explanable, but I don't
see how a linker flag affects .a files. There's no linking involved
anywhere. Please make sure your comparison is untainted.

> And by the way, as it turns out, just putting -Wl,-V to the start
> of LDFLAGS (while preserving all other flags) also affects the
> output, and gives
>
> $ cmp -l obj*/q/scratch/ru/src/sys/boot/efi/loader/loader.sym | wc -l
>     9266
>
> on pluto2.  FWIW, sys/boot/alpha/ makefiles also generated map tables,
> and taking -M out of LDFLAGS or otherwise changing them in insignificant
> way did not affect the output like this.

I think something fishy is going on on pluto2.

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net