boot installed freebsd

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Mon Aug 2 09:08:30 PDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 01:40:19PM +0000, Josef El-Rayes wrote:
> hi!
>
> i just successfully installed the latest freebsd-ia64
> snapshot and i was wondering how i add it into the
> efi boot manager. i read about giving the EFI partition
> a mount point (in the mailinglist archive) but which
> mount point? i gave it /boot (the additional partitions
> and mountpoints where set up with 'A' (auto settings))
> but then sysinstall complained about '/mnt/boot too many symlinks'.
> i also looked for the boot/loader.efi file, as i saw
> in the archive but i was not able to find one.

Typically we put the contents of /boot on the EFI partition. That
way the loader, kernel and configuration files are accessable under
EFI. For this to work, we made /boot a symlink to where we actually
want it. So, if you make the EFI partition mounted under /efi, then
the installer will create a symlink /boot -> /efi/boot.

However, there's currently a problem with the installer. It doesn't
actually mount the EFI partition before installing, so all the /boot
contents end up on the UFS root partition and not where we want it:
the EFI partition. For now, use the CD to boot into FreeBSD and
correct it by hand.

This should explain why using /boot as the EFI mount point gives the
error you're getting.

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net