XFree86-4-Server marked NOT_FOR_ARCHS=ia64?

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Wed Nov 26 21:25:08 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 08:28:00PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> For some reason XFree86-4-Server is marked NOT_FOR_ARCHS=ia64, which
> means it cannot be built for the disc 1 packages.  What is supposed to
> be going on here?  Should XFree86 be depending on a different server
> port for ia64, or is this port just broken on ia64 and in need of a
> fix?

I have the necessary patches to make it build. However, there are
kernel issues that are non-trivial to fix. Those are mainly caused
by the X server accessing the hardware directly. Our VM is not
capable to provide memory mappings with specific attributes to
allow processes to access memory mapped hardware. This is needed
on ia64.

Secondly, the X server needs syscons which is too i386 centric to
be used on ia64 without porting it. The end result will invariably
be something that's kludgy and awkward. Just like on alpha and
sparc64. I'm looking at something else.

FYI,

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net