FreeBSD/i386 lockups with Xorg & Radeon cards

jason henson jason at ec.rr.com
Tue May 17 22:50:47 PDT 2005

Simon Maginnity wrote:

>I am having the same problem with a Abit Radeon RX700(uses ATI chipset),
>have tried to configure xorg using the xorgcfg -textmode command and editing
>the xorg.conf file afterwards to check it over etc. when I do 'man radeon'
>my card is unlisted and x either locks up completely or tells me I do not
>have a monitor specified.
>
>Is there any newer Radeon drivers available? Whats the easiest console
>command to get them?
>
>Xorg.conf automatically loads the dri module in FreeBSD 5.4 too, so it's not
>that.
>
>I have looked at the logs for xorg in /var/logs/Xorg.0.log and did not find
>anything that particularly stuck out as obviously wrong, although there
>could have been, there was lots of stuff in there.
>
>Thanks for your help
>

>On 12/5/05 2:51 PM, "jason henson" <jason at ec.rr.com> wrote:

Search for WW or II and maybe ** in the log for problems.

You should disable dri for your card, only 2d is supported now for your
card.  It seems you made an another error when you edited you x config
file by hand to get the monitor error.  Post a copy of your file and
some one(me?) can look it over.

Here is the official up to date status for radeon cards on x
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATI?action=highlight&value=CategoryHardwareVendor