i386/188208: FreeBSD 10 i386 release won't properly install in QEMU

Marko Radojcic sambucuself at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 22:40:00 UTC 2014

>Number:         188208
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD 10 i386 release won't properly install in QEMU
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Hello,
I've tried installing FreeBSD 10 i386 release, from disk1.iso, bootonly.iso and .img for memstick but the same problem presents itself (I've checked the hashes after downloading the images). I'm running these tests in KVM/QEMU on Ubuntu Linux 64 bit.

After the installation "succeeds" the file /etc/devd.conf reports an error during first boot - something about not being parseable, and when looking at the file (the boot process continues, but it doesn't generate the host keys and probably other tasks don't complete). The file is obviously corrupted, when looking at it I get a bunch of @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ characters at the end.

The problem that this imposes is that it is impossible to install pkg tool by using pkg -vvv because the downloaded archive fails the check. I'm not sure if this is due to my configuration QEMU/KVM running on 64bit Ubuntu but I thought I should report this here. I downloaded a 64bit bootonly.iso and installed without a problem.

Best regards,

Marko Radojcic
>How-To-Repeat:
Install the FreeBSD release 10 in QEMU/KVM virtual machine on amd64 linux