i386/167217: catch an over 1024 Bytes network packet through libpcap in C

Shun-Hsiang Hu agg2567 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 01:20:05 UTC 2012

>Number:         167217
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       catch an over 1024 Bytes network packet through libpcap in C
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD test.twbbs.org 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008     root at logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

I want develop a packet filter by C language, I develop the filter through an library what is libpcap, but i discover a problem.

When I catch a network packet what is over 1024 bytes, the data what is over 1024 bytes will be loss, but the packet's length is true.

I am not sure that is a bug or not, but the same program run on Ubuntu, it is no problem. Thank you