i386/155695: AMD Vision ultimate notebook HP Pavilion DV6 3109ER overheats

Anatoly Mashanov thor at irk.ru
Sat Mar 19 16:20:01 UTC 2011

>Number:         155695
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       AMD Vision ultimate notebook HP Pavilion DV6 3109ER overheats
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD pride.nowhere.net 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Sat Mar 19 23:35:10 IRKT 2011     root at pride.nowhere.net:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/GENERIC  i386

Notebook HP Pavilion DV6-3109er (Mobile Phenom II x4, double Mobility
Radeon) keeps processor temperature about 60 degC under FreeBSD
8.2-RELEASE GENERIC kernel, and under custom kernel with device
acpi_video and acpi_hp. The battery life is probably 80 minutes, system
fan works at low RPM.

The same notebook is only slightly warm under stock Windows 7 Home
Basic. The battery life there is probably 3 hours. The fan is stopped
and works only sometimes.

The strange thing appeared: while FreeBSD pciconf reports 2 video cards,
windows reports only one video card (AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon
HD 4250, Vendor=1002, device=9712). And Windows does NOT report passive
equipment, for instance, Ethernet with no cable attached; so Windows
makes the second video passive and powers it down but FreeBSD does not.
BTW this second card is still not known to X and to pciconf.

The following was tried, with no or marginal result:
1. Read and followed the Fighting for the power
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-May/006436.html
2. powerd -v -M 2000 -m 200 (computer becomes non-responsive below 200 MHz)
3. Modification of stock FreeBSD vga driver to recognize one VGA only.
The second card does not appear in dmesg, hw.pci.do_power_nodriver=3 is in place but temperature is the same
4. Flashing the freshest available BIOS.
5. Googling everything imaginable about powering down the PCI device -
nothing found.
6. Looking into book's .ASL
7. Call to HP service.
8. Mailing to freebsd-acpi maillist.

When I rebuild the kernel, the cooling fan properly accelerates and the
temperature is kept within 75 degC, so the problem is not critical, but
it's difficult to use the book with battery power.

After a lot of googling and maillist reading I believe that this problem may be common for all AMD Vision Ultimate platform.

Data files are (If my Apache is OK)
http://plasmodius.dyndns.org/pavilion - if not, make me know.

>How-To-Repeat:
Just install 8.2-RELEASE on the said book and look for the temperature. I believe every book with "ULTIMATE VISION AMD" label is OK.