3C509B in full duplex

Jorden Verwer Jorden at vssd.nl
Tue Sep 21 14:05:24 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up a 3C509B NIC from 1996 (yes, I know it's old, but the rest of the hardware is not much newer) in a FreeBSD server. It seems to work just fine, except I can't switch to full duplex mode.

ifconfig -m ep1 says:
ep1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 10.255.255.255
        ether 00:60:97:9f:81:2b
        media: Ethernet 10baseT/UTP
        supported media:
                media 10base2/BNC
                media 10baseT/UTP
                media 10base5/AUI

I guess it makes sense that "ifconfig ep1 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex" won't work then (ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA (media): Device not configured), but the hardware should support full duplex (it really is a B - I checked). Does the driver simply not support full duplex? If so, I won't waste any more time on this.

Regards,

Jorden Verwer

PS: I'm not subscribed to this mailing list, so please in CC me your reply. Thanks!