i386/144956: [boot] Early minute-plus delay in boot on Intel Nehalem system

Charles Owens cowens at greatbaysoftware.com
Mon Apr 19 21:50:04 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR i386/144956; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Charles Owens <cowens at greatbaysoftware.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, cowens at greatbaysoftware.com
Subject: Re: i386/144956: [boot] Early minute-plus delay in boot on Intel
 Nehalem system
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:45:09 -0400

 --------------040705040106070806060608

 The following suggestion was graciously provided by Titus Manea (titus
 at buko dot edc dot ro):

     Hi,
     If you didn't solved the delay yet
     just add
     hint.atkbdc.0.disabled="1"
     hint.atkbd.0.disabled="1"
     in /boot/device.hints
     i traced the problem to console init and since these boards do not
     have ps/2 ports it probably takes the kernel some time to figure this out

 This is the answer!   Titus also pointed out that the symptom affects
 amd64 as will as i386.

 Thanks Titus!

 From my perspective, this ticket may be closed.  (I'm assuming that the
 observation I made of similar behavior occasionally happening with
 VMware is not related).

 --
  Charles Owens
  Great Bay Software, Inc.

 --------------040705040106070806060608

 <head>

 </head>
 The following suggestion was graciously provided by Titus Manea (titus
 at buko dot edc dot ro):<br>
   <pre wrap="">Hi,
 If you didn't solved the delay yet
 just add
 hint.atkbdc.0.disabled="1"
 hint.atkbd.0.disabled="1"
 in /boot/device.hints
 i traced the problem to console init and since these boards do not
 have ps/2 ports it probably takes the kernel some time to figure this out
   </pre>
 This is the answer!&nbsp;&nbsp; Titus also pointed out that the symptom affects
 amd64 as will as i386.<br>
 Thanks Titus!<br>
 From my perspective, this ticket may be closed.&nbsp; (I'm assuming that the
 observation I made of similar behavior occasionally happening with
 VMware is not related).<br>
 <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
  Charles Owens
  Great Bay Software, Inc.