pcm0:record:dsp0.r1: record interrupt timeout, channel dead

Paul Dokas dokas at oitsec.umn.edu
Fri May 29 16:13:00 UTC 2009

While attempting to get Skype working on my machine: (amd64 FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p5)
I ran into a nasty problem.  Once I had linux emulation installed correctly, Skype
seems to work just fine.  Until I try to make an outbound call that is.

Once Skype tries to enable the recording of sound through the mic jack, it starts
complaining.  I also get the following from the kernel:

  pcm0:record:dsp0.r1: record interrupt timeout, channel dead
  pcm0:record:dsp0.r1: record interrupt timeout, channel dead
  pcm0:record:dsp0.r1: record interrupt timeout, channel dead
  pcm0:record:dsp0.r1: record interrupt timeout, channel dead
  pcm0:record:dsp0.r1: record interrupt timeout, channel dead

The same also happens if I just try to read from the dsp device:

  dd if=/dev/dsp0 of=/dev/null bs=1k count=16

Here are the devices that I've tried:

  pcm0: <Creative Audigy 2 (EMU10K2)> port 0xccc0-0xccff irq 30 at device 6.0 on pci7
  pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9750/51 AC97 Codec>
  pcm0: [ITHREAD]

  uaudio0: <Logitech Logitech USB Headset, class 0/0, rev 1.10/10.13, addr 2> on uhub3
  uaudio0: ignored input endpoint of type adaptive
  uaudio0: audio rev 1.00
  pcm1: <USB Audio> on uaudio0

Googling for this error turns up quite a few people seeing the same thing.
And, sound(4) has this to say:

     pcm%d:play:%d:dsp%d.p%d: play interrupt timeout, channel dead  The hard-
     ware does not generate interrupts to serve incoming (play) or outgoing
     (record) data.

Ok, this seems pretty straight forward if a little cryptic.  However, why
is there no support for recording?  Recording presumably works fine for
Windows or Linux on the same hardware.  What is missing in FreeBSD that
causes this to break?  And lastly, I would be remiss if I didn't ask for
pointers on how to fix this problem.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Dokas                                     dokas at oitsec.umn.edu