i386/133218: use of carp(4) causes system to freeze

Philip Drapeau philipd at skysurfer.ca
Mon Mar 30 11:00:08 PDT 2009

>Number:         133218
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       use of carp(4) causes system to freeze
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
We have had the same issue on two separate machines running this release and earlier releases of FreeBSD when trying to use carp for failover. After creating the interfaces with ifconfig and setting it up so that traffic is hitting the carp IP the machines both just mysteriously freeze where they are 100% unresponsive.

The machines are both Dell PowerEdge servers. One is a 2650, and one is a older 2500.

The both are using Intel(R) PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet adapters (the em driver)

The both have RAID controllers in them using the aac driver and mirrored system disk pairs.
>How-To-Repeat:
Just simply create the carp interfaces (does not matter if both machines are up or not) and pass traffic to the IP they are set to. Any sort of larger volume traffic causes the machine to instantly lock.
>Fix:
I have not been able to find any workaround to this problem.