i386/131434: suid fails

William Olson wolson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 13:20:04 PST 2009

>Number:         131434
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       suid fails
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD mongoose.thebushtelegraph.com.au 7.1-STABLE FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE #0: Mon Jan 19 16:35:53 EST 2009     wolson at mongoose.thebushtelegraph.com.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

and

FreeBSD freebsd.nw.local 7.1-STABLE FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE #0: Fri Jan  9 20:56:51 EST 2009     wolson at freebsd.nw.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
When installing perl 5.9, there is a known bug listed here:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2008/12/msg142837.html

I am having this issue when installing /usr/ports/mail/qmail-scanner1 port with qms-config

>How-To-Repeat:
If you do not do the perl fix

When installing qmail-scanner it will install all dependancies for you. So lets go ahead and install it!

# cd /usr/ports/mail/qmail-scanner1/
# make extract

Configuring qms-analog

This is the second tarball we will need to download to get reporting out of qmail-scanner so lets get started!

# cd work
# fetch http://freebsdrocks.net/files/qms-analog-0.4.2.tar.gz
# tar zxvf qms-analog-0.4.2.tar.gz
# cd qms-analog-0.4.2
# gmake all
# cp qmail-scanner-1.25-st-qms-YYYYMMDD.patch ../qmail-scanner-1.25

Now we need to change to the qmail-scanner source, patch it and then run the configure scripts:

# cd ../qmail-scanner-1.25
# patch -p1 < qmail-scanner-1.25-st-qms-YYYYMMDD.patch

You should get a pretty large output. When it is done it will say done at the bottom if it installed the patch correctly.

Installing qmail-scanner

We now need to change the qms-config to match your settings. Please remember the sections in bold need to be changed to your domain specific settings:

# vi qms-config

./configure    --domain yourdomain.com \
               --admin postmaster \
               --local-domains "yourdomain.com,yourotherdomain.com" \
               --add-dscr-hdrs yes \
               --dscr-hdrs-text "X-Antivirus-MYDOMAIN" \
               --ignore-eol-check yes \
               --sa-quarantine 0 \
               --sa-delete 0 \
               --sa-reject no \
               --sa-subject ":SPAM:" \
               --sa-alt yes \
               --sa-debug no \
               --notify admin \
               --redundant yes \
               --qms-monitor no \
               "$INSTALL"

One of the options is having the headers of your emails display which rules determined the scores. You can do this as an option if you like. If you get a message thats marked spam and it's actually a ham, you can see what rules set it to be spam. This is quite useful when determining problems. Add the following options after the --notify admin but before the "$INSTALL" line in the qms-config script above:

 --sa-alt yes \
--sa-debug yes \
--sa-report yes\

Now we need to chmod the qms-config and give it a test run:

# chmod 755 qms-config
# ./qms-config

When it asks you:

Continue? ([Y]/N)

go ahead and hit Y. It will ask you the same thing twice to verfy the installation.

You will see the error at the end
>Fix:
in perl.c in release 5.8.9, line 3727 is        if (*suidscript) {
                                      should be if (*suidscript != 1) {