i386/141276: Strange behavior with vge gigabit ethernet adapter

M. Carey Jones mcj at bluetonic.org
Tue Dec 8 13:20:01 UTC 2009

>Number:         141276
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Strange behavior with vge gigabit ethernet adapter
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD ark.bluetonic.org 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #10: Mon Nov 30 06:17:07 CST 2009 root at ark.bluetonic.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ARK i386

vge0: <VIA Networking Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xb400-0xb4ff mem 0xe8020000-0xe80200ff irq 10 at device 11.0 on pci2
miibus1: <MII bus> on vge0
ciphy0: <Cicada CS8201 10/100/1000TX PHY> PHY 1 on miibus1
ciphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto
vge0: WARNING: using obsoleted if_watchdog interface
vge0: Ethernet address: 00:50:8d:6b:f1:5a
vge0: [ITHREAD]
I've been having a problem with network connections getting hung on my vge
adapter after updating from 7-STABLE to 8-STABLE.  This machine is acting
as a gateway, and throughput between the networks seems fine, but destinations
local to the server have issues.
>How-To-Repeat:
I first noticed the issue with Mediatomb, a upnp media server from the ports
collection.  The server would appear as a destination on my client devices,
but it appeared as though no data was returning from the server - I could
not browse the contents.  As part of troubleshooting, I ran the daemon in
debug mode, and it looked like it was outputting the data correctly.  I
noticed then that there was data being built up in the Send-Q in netstat
output.

mcj at ark ~ % netstat
Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address       (state)
tcp4       0   1551 ark.49152              192.168.1.50.61681     FIN_WAIT_1

I attempted to try the same thing with a different media server, ushare
(also from the ports collection), and I got the same results, suggesting
that the problem is not specific to Mediatomb.

This machine also runs apache, which serves up some logfiles and
mrtg-type graphs.  When pulling up pages there, the HTML portion loads
file, but the images referenced do not.  Again, the data is getting stuck
in the Send-Q.  This suggests that the issue is not specific to the
upnp protocol.

mcj at ark ~ % netstat
Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address       (state)
tcp4       0  25234 ark.http               chibi.61526            FIN_WAIT_1

I have seen some discussion of this issue on the mailing lists, and it seems
that Pyun YongHyeon is looking into the problem, but he does not currently
have the hardware.  I checked in the pr database, and did not see this issue
reported, so I thought I'd go ahead and send it in myself.
>Fix:
None known.  I have tried forcing the adapter to 100mbit, half-duplex, etc,
but no setting seems to make a difference.