i386/137975: Not clearing of memory after file deletion from a ram-disk

Mihail Konuhov piroman at myconfig.ru
Wed Aug 19 20:10:02 UTC 2009

>Number:         137975
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Not clearing of memory after file deletion from a ram-disk
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Hello, all!
Excuse for my bad English...
I use ram-disks created by means of the utility "mdconfig". I have a problem with clearing of the RAM occupied with a ram-disk after removal of all files from it. At first I create ram-disk, I format in ufs it and I create on it a file on the size close to the ram-disk size. Then I delete a file both I check a memory state and I see that all memory was liberated not. Memory clearing occurs only after a ram-disk blackout.

------- other --------
system information:
make.conf:
PERL_VERSION=5.8.9
KERNCONF=myconf

myconf:
GENERIC options and devices and:

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=0
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options         IPDIVERT
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
device          vlan

>How-To-Repeat:
This problem appears at performance of following operations:

--- Free Memory: 1934M, Free swap: 500M

# mdconfig -a -t swap -s 1024m -u 501
# newfs -m 0 -U md501
# mount /dev/md501 /home/0/run
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/0/run/test bs=1024 count=943718
# rm /home/0/run/test

--- Free Memory: 1003M, Free swap: 500M

# umount /home/0/run/
# mdconfig -d -u 501