i386/121550: Can't config graphics for ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

Harry mad-scientist at safe-mail.net
Mon Mar 10 03:10:02 UTC 2008

>Number:         121550
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Can't config graphics for ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Just installed 7.0 and am using the default kernel.  Can't get the GUI up.

Have tried VGA, ati, and radeon drivers thru xorgconfig.  Only the VGA works in 8-bit, but is unusable.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log says it can't load the radeon module because it can't open /dev/drm/card0.  Gets a -1 on open.  /dev/drm/card0 is not on the system.  Sounds like a drm problem.  It finds the right chip ID, though.

This is rather odd, since I was able to get graphics working rather well on FreeBSD 6.3 on this same machine.  Don't know which driver Xorg was using, though.  Didn't have 6.3 installed long because of ACPI problems.  ACPI works GREAT! now, but the display doesn't.

My linux uses the ATI fglrx driver for basic graphics.  I would try that, but doubt if it will work in FreeBSD.

Would more-or-less be happy with 16bit at 1024, if I could get it.