i386/74008: IBM eServer x225 cannot boot any v5.x - endless dump scrolling in bootloader.

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Tue Nov 13 00:40:02 PST 2007

The following reply was made to PR i386/74008; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net>
To: Kostik Belousov <kostikbel at gmail.com>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org, kib at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: i386/74008: IBM eServer x225 cannot boot any v5.x - endless dump
 scrolling in bootloader.
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:32:20 +0000 (UTC)

 Hi,

 ok, as I said I had done a BIOS update mailed out that stack trace
 again.

 The machine was idle for one week and coming back I was not able to
 reproduce the BTX halted problem. According to the console logs I
 hadn't done anything. It had "just disappered".

 I ran into a loader problem after that but that's fixed with the
 latest changes to loader in HEAD and RELENG_7.

 I also found out that IBM announces a reserved EDD bit:
 bd_int13probe
    in: 13h,eax=0x4100,ebx=0x55aa
    out: eax=0x3000 ecx=0x0005

    CX is 0x5 but only 0x0, 0x1 and 0x2 are documented but 0x4 is not.

 --
 Bjoern A. Zeeb                                 bzeeb at Zabbadoz dot NeT
 Software is harder than hardware  so better get it right the first time.