i386/108139: System hangs after /sbin/shutdown

blin911 at eastfeet.com blin911 at eastfeet.com
Thu Feb 8 08:10:37 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR i386/108139; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: blin911 at eastfeet.com
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org,
 Juergen.Dankoweit at FreeBSD-Onkel.de
Subject: Re: i386/108139: System hangs after /sbin/shutdown
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:02:13 +0800 (CST)

 Hi,
    I also encountered the same problem yesterday.

   My server is IBM System x3250 with Intel xeon 3040(1.86GHz, dual core,
 64bits). I want to install FreeBSD 6.2(amd64) on the server, but the
 problem occurs: system hangs when "shutdown –r now" or "shutdown –p
 now". I also try FreeBSD 6.1(amd64), but it also hangs when reboot. I
 guess ACPI causes the problem, but when I reboot freebsd with acpi
 disabled, the problem remain existence. I try to disable all special
 functions in BIOS, such as "Dual Core Processor Logic", "C1 Enhanced
 Mode", "EIST Function", "Serial Port 1", "Planar Ethernet", "Parallel
 ATA", "USB Support", "USB 2.0 Support". Then I find the system can
 reboot
  and power off without enabling "USB 2.0 Support".

    So, I estimate BIOS supporting USB 2.0 causes the problem. Maybe
 FreeBSD 6.2 doesn't deal with USB 2.0 well.

    I hope this info is helpfull of you.

 Even Chung
 2007-02-08