i386/119085: pcidata field name

Chris chris at christopherbartkowski.com
Thu Dec 27 19:20:01 PST 2007

>Number:         119085
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       pcidata field name
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD lappy.hsd1.pa.comcast.net. 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12 10:40:27 UTC 2007     root at dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

This is a brief summary of an error that I had and the solution I found.  I couldn't find a mention of this in documentation so maybe this will be helpful for others.

In upgrading to xorg 7.3 I was receiving an error that pcidata is not the right version.  This was after upgrading everything (through the ports collection) and following the instructions in the 'UPDATING' file.  The problem was in the ModulePath instruction in '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'.

Below is a snippet of the file, with only that which is relevant.  ('local' was 'X11R6', which I changed)

> Section "Files"
>         ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/modules/"
> EndSection

There was a 'libpcidata.so' in this folder but it was the wrong version.  There is another 'libpcidata.so' in '/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/'.  Adding that to ModulePath, ahead of the old one, solved the issue for me. (see below)

> Section "Files"
>         ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/"
>         ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/modules/"
> EndSection

>How-To-Repeat:
Upgrade to xorg 7.2 on freeBSD 6.2.  If I have to install it again I'll script it.
>Fix:
Before the line (local may be X11R6)
     ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/"
put the line