i386/104678: SMP not working on Turion XP Laptop

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 24 02:10:16 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR i386/104678; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ariff Abdullah <ariff at FreeBSD.org>
To: Bruce Evans <bde at zeta.org.au>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: i386/104678: SMP not working on Turion XP Laptop
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:04:32 +0800

 On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:40:14 GMT
 Bruce Evans <bde at zeta.org.au> wrote:

 >  On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Ariff Abdullah wrote:
 >
 >  > On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 04:50:11 GMT
 >  > Rainer Alves <rainer.alves at gmail.com> wrote:
 >  >>
 >  >>  I've been using your idle_cpu_* patches for about 6 months and
 >  >>  experienced some minor gliches (system would panic/hang once in
 >  >a >  while). Your new patch seems a lot simpler, and is working
 >  >>  perfectly here so far. Thanks!
 >  >
 >  > This one should become the final patch (if nobody complains about
 >  > it). More thorough check on processor models/revisions especially
 >  > for possible future production. Please backout previous patches
 >  > first before applying this one.
 >
 >  Nice.
 >
 >  This not-actually-final one works on my HP nx6325 Turion X2.
 >
 >  Does it affect the CPU's sleep cycles other than to wake up the CPU
 >  for acpi timer interrupts?

 C1E works more or less the same way with C2/3, except that the spec
 require the BIOS not to promote the state to the OS. The simmilar dead
 apic timer behaviour can be observed on other non-C1E by setting
 hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest/dev.cpu.%d.cx_lowest to its lowest supported
 Cx state.

 --
 Ariff Abdullah
 FreeBSD

 ... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
     and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........