i386/103697: Upgrade to 6.2 STABLE hangs on reboot on SMP Dell PowerEdge 1750

Sean Benoit sean at digital-jungle.com
Tue Sep 26 15:00:39 PDT 2006

>Number:         103697
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Upgrade to 6.2 STABLE hangs on reboot on SMP Dell PowerEdge 1750
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I CVSUP'd two Dell PowerEdge 1750 dual Xeon 2.4GHz FreeBSD 6.1 STABLE servers. Following the CVSUP I rebooted into single user mode and installed the new kernel and installworld. On subsequent reboot the system hung while detecting CPU #2 and would not continue. Noticed that the build was 6.2 PRE-RELEASE. I can still boot into safe mode. Alternatively, I can boot into default mode by disabling the second CPU in the Dell BIOS. Please help.
>How-To-Repeat:
Upgrade 6.1 stable on a multiple CPU dell PowerEdge 1750, reboot in to single user mode to install the kernel and world, then reboot and watch it hang...
>Fix:
Boot into safe mode or disable second CPU in BIOS.